Sunday, April 5, 2009

Progress

I think I have made significant progress this weekend rebuilding my website and store. I of course have lots and lots of items to still add to my store, and I think many of you will keep coming by as items are added. I personally like the fact that I can offer archival fine art prints at a price that everyone can afford from the high school student with a bit of allowance to the elite CEO buying a birthday gift (hint hint elite CEOs). OK I know elite CEOs do not scour the Internet themselves for gifts they have teams of people to do that stuff while they are laying out in the Bahamas or are in Vegas for a retreat while their company is tanking.

The big news of the day and I am still scratching my head about it, and guess I will find out if it is real and if I want it to be real will be Monday. But here it is, I think I was hired to be the main assistant for an antique photography dealer who mainly does consignment work, and runs his own auctions and has auctions onArtFact.com a little spring up after eBay Live was canceled. There are mainly things about this position that make me cringe and the main one being I have no idea how stable of a position this truly is, and I would be free-lance again. For those who do not know about the New York art job market and the I9 world, let me tell you it becomes the worse way to screw artists unless they truly have a lot of business and this employer happens to be short term of just one of a number of clients. I could not get unemployment because I worked for Minagawa Art Lines too long as a free lance artist even though I was required to show up everyday on time, and ask in advance for a day off. Not really free lance at all, and just a way for the owner to get out of paying unemployment insurance and extra taxes for me. This place is a very tiny operation and really does seem freelance, with hours being what I feel I need them to be to do the job, but not before 11am except in extreme circumstances. If I take this job, which might not be stable, and I could be out of one again quickly, then I have to find another free lance position or part time job and sell artwork (hint hint people get presents for other people already). Notice on the giclees that you order different sizes now, and soon I am going to start offering framing once I can get the right deals through a frame distributor.

Today we might go watch Ali’s younger sister Carly play in her tennis match, but we just don’t if she is playing yet because I guess the coach leaves them waiting as long as possible. The univerisity is in Connecticut about an hour and a half from where we live, so it is not so bad and it is supposed to be a nice day out. This also means that we shall be visiting the state park and letting Bixby stretch his legs, but hopefully not getting any ticks because the other day I had to pull a wood tick off them that was bigger than the end of my thumb. Being from Chicago we really didn’t have these issues and now I am scared out of my mind that I am going to get Lyme’s disease, and we have to check each other and the dog as soon as we get home. Problem is that the deer ticks that carry this stuff are so tiny and look like flat discs, and so they are impossible to find on Bixby. Well I hope everyone has an excellent Sunday and I will write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any marketing or business suggestions: