Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Monday Missed

I didn't blog on Monday at least not on my own site and I shall do penance for it later, actually probably not because I don't buy into the whole penance thing, I do fall for guilt trips and are they one in the same? Yesterday I had to do some major cleaning on the bathroom because it smelled underneath our sink, and Bixby put his head under the sink area and than he smelled a bit. After I was done there, I was like "Yes, time for the studio!", but no I went down there and the carpet around the closet looked wet, and when I opened it up there was about an inch of water in there. Luckily, the closet is not level and all my large drawings were on the high side, but all my packing cardboard lost about four inches in height. I spent three hours cleaning it out and mopping up the water and I can only guess that it is coming from a crack in the foundation because it keeps slowly coming in. I am going to call the landlord and he will get defensive about it and let me know if I broke something I am responsible for it. Seriously why do so many landlords not give a shit about their property? I had to find new creative spots to store everything that absolutely can never get wet, and than reload the rest back into the closet. This closet is important because it is 1 of 2 that we have, and neither is really that big.

This slow down at least made me take the time to look at my compressor that I accidentally stepped on coming off a ladder and I broke the plastic switch. I got the switch to turn the compressor on, but now I can only turn it on and off by pulling the plug out of the socket. It is working though which makes me happy because I do not have to buy a new one. I than went and worked on the computer setting up another shop on 1000Markets which is pretty new like Art Fire, but it also got me worked up do to some crap I read by a Market (markets are really just groups of shops). This Market has pretty boring art works and the big acceptance to be in their Market is that you hope to one day be in South Western Art Magazine or already have been shown in it. It also came with this written lecture on how each artist can only paint and draw one way and that is how you know they are ready for such a prestigious magazine. Honestly this whole group and the people who run that magazine should be lined up and slapped, and than put them on the side of a highway where people could drive by and throw shit at them! The whole market's work looked like a bunch of figure 1 drawings, oh yes this elitist bullshit really pissed me off. Am I a hypocrite? Hell Yes! At least be an elitist for the fact of being good or not good, not spewing the crap that some long dead boys club professor told you. When you make a mermaid and it is done badly and you made it because you think mermaids are just such an amazing idea, guess what you suck and the work sucks. If you make a mermaid with skill (don't confuse skill with realistic looking it's a fucking mermaid for god's sake) and you do it because of its history in tattooing, for the kitsch, it says something about something than I will respect it. Ok that rant is over!

I should have put this before the rant, but damn I had to get it out because that actually kept me from a good night sleep. I have to give props to two people today who are out there promoting and I really appreciate their efforts. The first is Lanee a person who crochets, yeah I don't get the attraction of the process but many people do, she featured me on her blog and used the letters WTF in reference to a giclee and I was the main focus of it. Thank you for noticing my work on Art Fire!

The next thanks go to Amie Roman aka Ploverwing at Etsy who invited Ali and I into the Printmaking group on Etsy known as Printsy. They can also be found at Flicker, BlogSpot, and she can be found at inkteraction (which I had never heard of) and she let me know of a printmaking forum on wetcanvas. Plus she would also like to interview us and thinks that print makers are interesting enough to interview. I have been to many conferences and miss being able to attend them, and let me tell you that I think we are interesting in that we act like we have been locked in a basement, and are let out for one week of the year kind of way. I will do the interview with real information, I did have the thought of making an alter ego so people would want to read it, but that would be letting Amie's hard work down. I am off to paint today and start a new drawing, so Peace until tonight's update!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any marketing or business suggestions: